CANCELED – Alternatives to Opioids: Healing Support for Pain & Opioid Dependency
June 27 @ 9:00 am - June 28 @ 5:30 pm
15 CEU/PDAs (NCCAOM, CA, TX, FL)
This training will offer participants a deep understanding of the opioid epidemic and the role that acupuncture can play in the treatment of pain, trauma and dependency. Trainees will learn to provide an acupuncture-based, therapeutic option to medication for the treatment of pain, and/or to provide “therapeutic support” for those who are actively taking long- or short-term opioids, where risks may outweigh the benefits, and where there may be a desire to taper off of them under medical supervision.
Course curriculum will focus on:
- An overview of the Opioid Epidemic – Understanding the epidemic and the disease process
- Challenges in Treating the Opioid Epidemic
- Trauma and the Opioid Crisis
- Mechanisms of Pain
- Pharmacological Management of Pain
- Non-Pharmacological Approaches to Pain Management – Evidence-based, non-pharmacological, integrative and self-care therapies
- Acupuncture’s Role in the Opioid Epidemic
- AWB pain protocol (NADA plus body points and spirit/emotional points) for suggested use in clinics
- Understanding Chinese Herb/Drug Interactions and Opioids
- A Discussion of use of Cannabis for Pain
- Community Clinic Practicum
- “Alternatives to Opioids” Treatment Models – Integrating the treatment protocol into private practice settings, and /or existing treatment clinics, along with strategies and systems for establishing one or more of those models in your community.
- Networking with other acupuncturists, medical professionals, hospitals and other treatment facilities, including templates of letters and teaching on how to talk to medical professionals
- Fundraising and Community Outreach
Participants in this training will have the opportunity to join AWB’s Community Clinic – Alternatives to Opioids Program with benefits such as individual mentorship with Diana Fried and Stephanie Lyon, your clinic listing on our website, discounts with AWB sponsors, access to our 501(c)(3) status for possible grant partnerships and much more. Participants will also receive a comprehensive clinic manual for starting an affiliated clinic full of “how to” info, resources, research and more. The training is a requirement to join this program.